How to Make Shapes with Colorful Feathers
Feathers are a great option for kids crafts and activities. They are easy to set up and clean up, they are lightweight, and they are quiet; you can do this activity with your preschooler without waking a sleeping toddler! Learning shapes can't be more fun than that.
This post contains affiliate links.
You can usually find a bag of craft feathers in your local craft store, department store or sewing store, or buy them online. Often there will be different sizes and colors in one bag.
Kids can use feathers to form the shapes they know, or simply create new shapes and designs.
Talk with your child about the colors of the feathers they choose, and the shapes they make. Your conversation will probably be the noisiest thing about this activity!
Extend the learning opportunity by providing shapes to be outlined with feathers.
Print the shape templates, then experiment with placing feathers on the shapes.
- Use one color on a shape or a variety of colors.
- Place feathers on a shape, remove them, then add them to another shape. Do you need more or less feathers for the other shape?
- Fill the inside of the shape with feathers. How many feathers will fit? Can you stack the feathers?
- Glue feathers to a shape to make a picture you can save.
Keep some feathers on a shelf where they are easily accessible for kids to play on their own.
You will enjoy the simplicity of this quiet time activity as you play and learn with your preschooler!
Learning through play
- Count the number of feathers it takes to go around each shape.
- Use one color to outline a shape.
- Separate and count the large and small feathers used to outline a shape.
Find this activity along with crafts and activities from my blogger friends at Kid Craft Challenge #3.
Fun products for exploring shapes found on Amazon
Lacing Set Sorting Board Shape Sorter Cube