How to Make a Large Gift Box Smaller
Wrapping gifts is often an essential part of a festive occasion or holiday event. Finding just the right box to hold that special gift can be difficult. While it's almost impossible to make a small box larger, there is a simple way to make a large gift box smaller.
This post contains affiliate links.
I wanted to wrap some magazines in a shirt box but the box was so large I knew the magazines would move around too much inside the box. So I came up with a simple way to reduce the size of the box.
- The lid at the top of the photo shows the original length of the box (a shirt box).
- The pink paper in the bottom half of the box indicates the new length required. Cut off a portion of the box as shown, leaving slightly more than enough to make the new side (the excess will be trimmed later).
- Score the cardboard lightly along the length of the pink paper to make it easier to bend the cardboard up to form the new side.
- Bend the new side up along the score line and press with fingertips.
- Cut on a slant from the outer corner of the new side into the corner of the bend to form flaps.
- Wrap the flaps around the outside corner and tape to the outside of the box.
- Trim the excess along the top to line up level with the other three sides.
Here is photo of the box with flaps taped to the side of the box and trimming started along the top.
- Set the bottom portion of the box into the top of the box. Trim the excess length from the top of the box leaving enough for the height of the new side.
- Place a ruler close to the base of the box and draw a line to indicate where the bend will be for the new side.
- Score lightly. Finish the top of the box with the same instructions used to complete the bottom half of the box.
Here is the finished smaller box. Now you are ready to wrap smaller items with more precision.
My magazines fit perfectly!
More gift boxes for unique wrapping!
Find all the help you need with our DIY projects on Pinterest.
Free printables for making your own gift boxes!
Printable Gift Boxes / Easy Peasy and Fun
Printable Christmas Gift Boxes / Picklebums
Free Printable Gift Boxes / Moms & Crafters