How to Help Kids Make Their Own Craft Box
Kids can have a craft box of their very own to inspire creative art activities. Easy to put together with basic craft supplies. Once your craft box is complete, be prepared for the flurry of creativity!
This post contains affiliate links. Privacy and Disclosure
Fishing for some activities to do with your preschooler? Let's tackle the problem together!
Here's a genius way to inspire kids to imagine and create their own fun.
A kid's own craft box!
A craft box is a simple but effective prompt to support kids creative learning.
This is where the fishing theme comes in!
- The craft box can be anything from a small tackle box or tool box, to a sturdy cardboard box with a lid.
Help your early learner choose a sturdy container, then fill it with a variety of arts and crafts materials.
The goal is to make basic craft supplies available for child-led art activities.
Kids own craft box
What is the benefit of kids own craft box?
When kids help choose and stock their craft box, it builds developmental skills.
Kids learn to:
- take pride in the care and use of the supplies.
- plan the types of art activities they will do.
- count and sort supplies, and keep a tally of what needs replenishing.
- initiate craft sessions for independent play.
What type of container can be used for kids own craft box?
1. A small plastic tackle box or tool box are both great options - sturdy; not too heavy; have a convenient handle; have just enough room for basic art supplies.
- This one has two sections - a removeable upper tray and a deeper lower box - which help sort the materials.
- It has a clasp that is easy to open and shut.
- The handle makes it convenient for little ones to carry their craft box to a work station.
2. A sewing box or jewelry box you have on hand is also an option.
3. A small craft box can easily organize art supplies.
4. A shoe box with a lid can also be made into a craft box. Kids can decorate the box for their first art project!
What are the best art supplies for kids own craft box?
Fill the top tray of the box with pencils, crayons, markers, scissors and glue.
The bottom section can hold paint and paper as well as bulkier items such as foam balls, pompoms, and felt or foam cut-outs.
Check out these fun art kits you can purchase filled with supplies! You can introduce a few supplies at a time while having lots of items on hand to replenish your craft box as needed.
More choices include stickers, glitter glue, feathers, chenille stems, clothespins and cotton swabs.
Stock your craft box with these must-haves!
Craft supplies lists from kid-friendly bloggers
The Best Craft Supplies for Preschoolers / Teaching Mama
20 Craft Supplies Every Home Should Have / I Can Teach My Child
Craft Supplies and Organization / Toddler Approved
How to create the best craft box for kids independent play.
- Provide choices of materials that are not too messy so you can allow kids freedom to initiate art activities.
- Keep just a few items at a time in the craft box so play is not overwhelming. Change the contents now and then, adding and replacing materials to promote imagination and creativity.
- Include your little artist in the experience of choosing materials from the dollar store or craft store to put in the craft box.
The most important thing is to make art materials accessible, and support an appropriate amount of independent play based on age and skill level.
So when you go fishing for something to entertain your preschooler, keep the idea of a kids own craft box in your toolkit. It will spark a flurry of creativity and support independent play.
Have you had a burst of creativity at your house lately?
Follow our Crafts Pinterest board for amazing arts and crafts ideas!