Teaching Children Playground Safety
When you head out to the playground, take charge of playground safety by being proactive. Kids can share and have fun in positive ways by adopting good habits around play equipment. Here are some tips that will help create a safe and enjoyable environment.
This post contains affiliate links.
Everyone wants to have fun and be safe at the playground. Adults must supervise little ones while allowing them freedom to run, explore, play and socialize.
In order to avoid frustrations and possible accidents, it is beneficial for kids to be equipped with the proper tools for playing safely.
One way to empower kids is to demonstrate safe practices for the use of playground equipment.
Here are a few steps to take to show kids how to play safely.
Playground safety best practices
1. Walk at a safe distance around the swings when they are in use.
Lead the children through a practice route, from one piece of equipment to another.
2. Sit properly on the swing and slide.
Have the children imitate your example.
3. Grasp climbing apparatus with both hands.
This also applies to swing ropes and seesaw handles.
4. Play on equipment you can reach.
Public playgrounds may have options available for a wide range of kids sizes and ages. Set limits.
5. Separate playground area into spaces according to activities.
Designate areas for playing tag, throwing balls or flying kites that are a safe distance from playground equipment.
6. Take turns.
The playground presents opportunities for sharing (Is someone is waiting for a swing?) as well as for learning to Wait for your turn.
Reinforce rules occasionally with a few simple instructions:
- hold onto handrails with both hands
- make sure the bottom of the slide is clear before you slide down
- slide down feet first
- sit, don’t stand, on the swing seat and seesaw
- do not walk behind swings in use
- stay clear of the child above you on climbing equipment
Make sure kids are not wearing loose clothing, belts, scarves, etc. on playground equipment.
And last, but not least, wash hands before enjoying snacks.
Outdoor play has many benefits for kids as well as grownups!
Visit our Outdoor Play Pinterest board for more games and activities.
Play safely, and have fun at the playground today!