How to Make a Glittering Foil Crown for Preschool Pretend Play
This glittering crown is easy for kids to make with foil and paper confetti. Preschoolers can wear this bright crown for pretend play, or for celebrating a special occasion such as New Year's Eve.
This post contains affiliate links. Privacy and Disclosure
Make this glittering crown for pretend play or special events. Kids will love this hands-on activity decorating a foil crown with sparkly 'jewels'.
This post was originally written for glitter but the current trend is to use paper confetti or beads in crafts.
Kids activities with a glittering crown
1. This crown craft supports awesome imaginative play!
- A glittery crown is the perfect addition to a dress-up costume when role-playing kings and queens in a castle.
2. Wearing a shimmering crown makes and event like New Year's Eve even more special.
- Dressing up for the countdown is part of the excitement of this annual festivity.
3. Making a crown supports the development of kids' creative and fine motor skills.
- Kids can be creative making their crowns, planning designs and choosing decorations.
Instructions for a glittering foil crown
1. Start with a piece of aluminum foil approximately 12 in. x 20 in. (30 cm x 51 cm), or long enough to fit comfortably around your child's head.
2. Fold the long side up about two inches, then fold over two more times. This will make a strong band for the crown. The top 2 - 3 inches will become the tips of the crown. (see below)
3. Trace shape cut-outs onto foil, and cut them out to make "jewels" to decorate the crown.
4. Transfer a pattern onto the foil for the tips of the crown, or draw them by hand.
My pattern is a paper crown that came in a holiday popper!
5. Cut out the pattern to form the top of the crown.
6. Spread glue on the foil shapes, then sprinkle confetti over the glue to make "jewels".
7. Glue the "jewels" to the outside of the band (the fold should be on the inside).
8. Tape the ends together and your glittery crown is ready for pretend play or a New Year's Eve celebration.
Add a cape, a blanket fort, a magic wand, or a broom-handle horse to the pretend play.
Let your imagination explore the possibilities with your child.
Pretend Play Pinterest board
Explore crafts, games, snacks and other exciting projects to celebrate the New Year.
More New Year's Eve family activities
Slime / Little Bins for Little Hands
Scavenger Hunt / Buggy and Buddy
Bingo / Playdough to Plato
Musical Game / Let's Play Kids Music
Year in Review Questionnaire / The Resourceful Mama