How to Make a Kids Crown for Pretend Play
Kids love pretend play, and dressing in costumes is often part of the fun. A paper crown is easy to make and provides open-ended opportunities for dramatic play.
This post contains affiliate links.
Crowns promote imaginative play in many different ways. A king needs a crown to wear as he is ruling inside a cardboard box castle! A princess wears her crown when she is chasing a fearsome broomstick dragon!
This is an easy crown to make, using basic craft supplies.
You will need:
1. Cut a 2 inch (5 cm) wide band from card stock or construction paper.
If you don't have paper long enough to go around your child's head, simply join two strips of paper with tape.
2. Provide paper shapes to make the design of the crown. Older children can cut shapes from paper themselves.
3. Glue or tape triangles to the back of the headband.
Create designs with different sizes and colors of triangles.
Talk about the sizes and colors of shapes used, and patterns made with the triangles.
4. Glue a large diamond shape to the front of the crown.
A tape dispenser is one tool I find very handy when doing crafts. Not all tape dispensers are kid-friendly as they have a sharp cutting edge so use caution when dispensing tape with the kids.
5. Decorate the headband with colorful stickers, markers and crayons to make a unique and beautiful crown.
6. Fasten the ends with tape to fit your child's head.
Just putting on the crown will promote imagination and conversation.
Build a castle with boxes or blankets and get ready for some fun pretend play!
More pretend play ideas from kid-friendly bloggers!
30 + Pretend Play Ideas from Mess for Less
Pretend Play Fishing Activity from Mom Inspired Life
Dramatic Play Gingerbread Man Activity from Fun-A-Day
Clothesline Activity: Laundry Day Pretend Play from Happy Hooligans
Pretend Play in Preschool: How to Be a Scientist from The Preschool Toolbox
This craft can be found along with other crafts and activities from kid friendly bloggers at:
Visit our Pretend Play board on Pinterest for more fun play ideas!