Magic Mirror Preschool Pretend Play
This magic mirror is easy to make with recyclables for pretend play. Our simple tutorial will help you and the kids make your own sparkly mirror to create some magical fun.
This post contains affiliate links. Privacy and Disclosure
'Mirror mirror on the wall'...... Recognize this familiar phrase?
This pretend play activity was inspired by the children's story Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
The role of the mirror in the story is mysterious and magical.
Kids can recreate the magic with a sparkly mirror that's easy to make with recyclables
Look for ways to play with your magic mirror at the end of the post!
Magic mirror pretend play
Pretend play is an effective way for kids to explore the world around them.
When kids create or initiate play activities themselves, they will be fully committed and engaged. As a result, lots of learning opportunities arise while kids are having fun.
Pretend play with a homemade magic mirror promotes use of language.
They do several things as they play.
- Create new characters or role play familiar ones.
- Imitate voices and movements.
- Extend the play with puppets or other props.
Supplies for making a magic mirror
- solid foam packaging
- kids paint
- biodegradable confetti
Solid foam packaging can be square or rectangle as well as oval. Any of these shapes will work for this project.
If the foam type of packaging is not available, substitute sturdy cardboard for the mirror.
- Cut the cardboard into an oval shape. Cut out the center in a similar oval shape, leaving a mirror frame 3-4 inches (7-10 cm) wide.
Related: Foam Packaging Puppet Theatre
Instructions for magic mirror craft
1. Paint the mirror. We used blue for the frame and yellow for 'gold' trim.
2. Sprinkle paper confetti or biodegradable glitter over the paint while it's wet.
3. Rub a glue stick over the mirror when the paint is dry.
4. Glue beads, craft gems, more glitter and other decorations onto the frame for 'jewels'.
Use white flue or a glue gun if preferred to attach the decorations.
Visit our Pretend Play board on Pinterest!
How to play!
Games can be played with two or more children.
Here are some suggestions for pretend play with your magic mirror.
1. Magic mirror on the wall,
(child's name) has the funniest/saddest/happiest face of all.
- One child is holding the mirror in front of his face.
- The other children suggest a sound or expression for the child in the mirror to make.
2. Magic mirror I can see,
(child's name) happy/sad/scared face looking at me.
- The child holding the mirror makes a facial expression while the other children name the expression, and/or imitate the expression.
More pretend play
Space Pretend Play from You Clever Monkey
Camping Pretend Play from Where Imagination Grows
Train Pretend Play from Toddler Approved