Halloween Broomstick Craft for Kids
This simple broomstick craft is fun for the whole family to make. Kids will love using a broomstick as part of a Halloween costume. You can also use a broomstick as a fun Halloween decoration.
This post contains affiliate links. Privacy and Disclosure
Halloween wouldn't be complete without witches in tall black hats and their flying broomsticks.
This craft is fun for the whole family. Only a few basic supplies are needed, and it's easy to adjust the style and size of the broomstick.
Halloween broomstick craft
What could be more fun for pretend play than a broomstick? This one is simple to make with burlap and a wooden dowel.
By the way, kids will love pulling threads from burlap. This part of the process provides some awesome fine motor work as kids prepare the broomstick.
Find more crafts and activities on our
Halloween Pinterest board.
Supplies for a broomstick decoration
- wooden dowel
- masking tape
- burlap fabric
- black fabric.
The dowel in this tutorial measures 12 inches (30 cm) in length.
The size of your broomstick will vary depending on the dowel or other stick you use for this craft.
Instructions for a broomstick craft
1. Cut piece of burlap approximately half as long as the dowel and 10 in. (25 cm) wide.
2. Unravel the burlap from the bottom to make the "bristles".
3. Leave a tab approximately 2 in. (5 cm), then unravel a few rows at the top as shown in the diagram.
4. Place the dowel on the burlap, slightly above the end of the fabric. Tape the edge of the burlap to the dowel. Roll the dowel across the burlap, layering the burlap over the dowel.
5. Secure with tape and add a decorative bow with black fabric.
No witch should be left without a broom on Halloween night. Make this fun broomstick for a Halloween decoration or add it to a witch or sorcerer costume.
Say this little rhyme with your preschoolers as you 'fly' your brooms around the room.
We're Halloween witches, flying over ditches,
Sliding down the moon, as we sing this tune:
"Heigh-ho, Halloween's here!" (with a sing-songy voice)