Lighted Pumpkin Halloween Decoration
A lighted pumpkin is a fun craft to make for Halloween. Carve a real pumpkin to create this spooky jack-o-lantern that will glow on Halloween night.
Privacy and Disclosure
for information on cookies and affiliates
The fun starts with carving a pumpkin, and results in a glowing jack-o-lantern!
This homemade pumpkin decoration is a great hands-on family activity for kids of all ages to enjoy.
- The activity engages kids in fine motor sensory play while using math and creative skills to design the jack-o-lantern.
Kids will love watching the pumpkin transform into a spooky jack-o-lantern on Halloween night.
Lighted pumpkin craft
This pumpkin craft is a fun project to do at home with the family, or in a classroom with a small group of children.
- If you do the activity with a small group, you can either have one large pumpkin that accommodates several sets of hands, or one small pumpkin for each participant.
- Explore the inside of the pumpkin. Talk about the colors and textures of the seeds and pulp. Discuss the features the pumpkin needs to become a jack-o-lantern.
Related: 41 + Activities with real pumpkins
1. Remove the stem.
Place a pumpkin on newspaper or a tray to protect the table surface.
Cut out a portion of the top of the pumpkin and remove top with the stem attached.
2. Scoop out seeds.
Dig out the seeds with a spoon. Scrape along the sides and bottom to loosen the pulp and seeds.
Invite kids to use their hands to dig out some of the pulp and seeds. This will provide some gooey sensory play.
Save the seeds for a math activity with kids.
(Affiliate links have been provided for related products.)
3. Cut out facial features.
- This is a job for grownups. You can buy a pumpkin carving kit for kids, but this should be used with adult supervision.
- Kids can help draw the eyes, nose and mouth on the pumpkin with a marker.
4. Light up the pumpkin.
We started with a plain orange pumpkin and ended up with a gorgeous decoration.
Dim the lights and see how your jack-o-lantern looks!