DIY Counting Book and Thematic Unit for Preschoolers
This is a fun counting book to make with preschoolers. Large numerals and colorful pictures give this early counting book interest and readability. Make a counting book for the classroom, and provide materials so kids can make their own books for their book collection at home.
This post contains affiliate links. See our disclaimer for full disclosure.
A simple homemade counting book can inspire kids to 'read' and 'count'.
Kids will be proud to share their books with family and friends for story times.
Supplies for homemade counting books
- ring closures
Instructions for counting book
1. Cut pages from card stock. The pages in the photos measure 7 ½ in. (19 cm) square.
2. Glue colorful pictures, or stickers, and large numerals to each page.
2. Print the words clearly. You can pencil the letters onto the page using a stencil, then outline the letters with a marker.
3. Cover the pages with clear contact paper for durability
Thematic unit: Numbers
A week of activities
Arts and Crafts
Make counting books.
- Monday – complete page “1” - hole punch and add the rings.
- Tuesday – complete page “2” - add to the book.
Continue until the desired number of pages has been added to the book.
- Decorate the covers.
5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
1 Potato, 2 Potato
1, 2 Buckle My Shoe
Hickory Dickory Dock
2 Little Black Birds Sitting on a Hill
The Ants Go Marching One by One
Five Green and Speckled Frogs
Alice the Camel Has Five Humps
Six Little Ducks That I Once Knew
Way Up High in a Tree 5 Red Apples
Discover where all the ladybugs are going in a fun, surprise ending.
Kids will love counting with Bear.
This simple counting book is perfect for 1,2,3!
Familiar images adorn a counting book by this popular author.
Help Spot count things on the farm.