Snowman Felt Board Activity for Preschoolers
Kids can help the snowman find matching mittens with this simple felt board activity. Use felt cut-outs of a snowman, hats and mittens, to play sorting and matching games. This activity is fun for toddlers and preschoolers and can easily be added to your winter theme.
Privacy and Disclosure
for information on cookies and affiliates
Matching mittens on the felt board
The felt board is a great resource for providing quiet time activities for kids.
Matching and sorting activities are easy to prepare and provide lots of learning opportunities using cognitive, math and language skills.
This snowman activity is perfect for indoor play when winter weather doesn't allow you to build a snowman outside!
Instructions for the mitten matching activity
Use the image above as a guideline for cutting out the snowman, hats and mittens.
Purchase felt online or at a local craft store.
Sizes and colors of felt cut-outs will vary depending on the felt pieces you have on hand.
Prepare felt cut-outs to include the following:
- three white circles in different sizes for the snowman, or one large piece shaped like a snowman
- features for the snowman - eyes, nose, buttons, stick arms
- matching sets of hats and mittens in different colors
Learning through play
- Place a hat on the snowman. Ask your child to find the matching mittens. Then have your child choose a hat and you take a turn finding the matching mittens!
- Place all the hats in a small paper bag. Encourage your child to reach in, without looking, to remove a hat and place it on the snowman, then find the matching mittens on the felt board.
- Small group play: Children stand in a circle with hands behind their backs. Place a felt mitten in each child's hand. Children then look at their mittens and move around the group to find the person with the same color mitten as their own. Add the mittens to the felt board in pairs.
- Play a mix-up game - add hats and mittens to the snowman that do not match.
Have fun helping the snowman find his matching mittens.
Do you think the snowman has a favorite color?
Felt Snowmen from kid-friendly bloggers!
5 Little Snowmen from Kitchen Counter Chronicles
Felt Snowman Toddler Activity from Frugal Fun for Boys and Girls
Snowman Busy Bag from Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tail
Felt Olaf Snowman Craft from Living Life and Learning
Stuffed Snowman Sewing Craft from The Imagination Tree
Visit our Snow and Snowmen Pinterest board