15+ Canada Day Family Activities
Celebrate Canada Day with games and activities that are fun for the whole family. This list of ideas will help you plan ahead, or be prepared for spontaneous events.
This post contains affiliate links. Privacy and Disclosure
Enjoy opportunities for family fun with these Canada Day theme activities. While the theme of this post is Canada Day, the activities can easily be adapted to any region or country by using your own national symbols in place of the ones shown in this post.
We've put together a convenient list of activities the whole family can enjoy. Ideas are included for both indoor and outdoor play. These options are meant to be hands-on fun with easy setup and cleanup.
Canada Day family activities
National and local holidays are reasons for celebration. They're occasions when people get together, in large groups or small, to share food, music, sports, and special events.
The activities in this post can easily be included in everyday play, and can be altered or expanded on to suit ages, interest and skill levels of kids. Ideas are organized by category: outdoor play, indoor games and crafts, and community events.
Games and activities don't have to be formal or require a lot of rules or special equipment. The most important part of the holiday is celebrating with family, friends and neighbors.
Make this year's celebration the best one ever!
Keep games simple - short on rules and long on participation!
1. Pine cone trail scavenger hunt - substitute pine cones with small Canada flags!
2. Backyard games and activities - play games with balls or other toys decorated with national or regional symbols. More formal games can include badminton, croquet and horse shoes.
3. Backyard parade - wave small flags as you march around the yard. Attach flags to wagons and tricycles to ride or pull along in the parade. Dress in clothing to represent the holiday, such as t-shirts printed with the national symbol.
Look for game options with Canadian designs such as a pack of cards decorated with the 'maple leaf'.
Decorate your game pieces and props with the colors and symbols of the national flag.
4. Board games
6. Ring toss
Prepare homemade decorations before the big event.
Plan arts and crafts activities for rainy days, or for a change of pace in the midst of hectic activities.
10. Fireworks Art
Browse recreation calendars and tourist brochures to pinpoint activities in your area.
11. Sports event
12. Street parade
13. Fireworks display
14. Outdoor movie
15. Family games or an ice cream social in the park
Food and Drink
Extend the festive atmosphere with special snacks and table settings.
16. Serve local foods and seasonal foods that contribute to the festive nature of the meal. Choose foods in the colors of the flag such as red berries and juices, vanilla ice cream with raspberry topping.
17. Purchase themed napkins, paper plates, and paper cups from a dollar store.
18. Make handmade place markers made with the 'maple leaf' design. Cut the maple leaf from paper napkins or other printed materials.
Print this handy check-list with ideas for Canada Day!
Canada Day on Pinterest