Graphing on the Felt Board Preschool Activity
This graphing activity is a fun way for toddlers and preschoolers to practice counting and sorting with colorful felt shapes. Easy to make and easy to store, felt shapes provide a perfect option for a simple math activity for early learners.
This post contains affiliate links. Privacy and Disclosure
Graphing on the felt board is a fun way to explore beginning math skills with toddlers and preschoolers. This is a simple activity to set up once all the pieces are prepared.
Felt board graphing activity
Colorful felt circles are perfect for graphing on the felt board. The felt circles used in our felt board caterpillar activity gave me the idea for this math activity!
This is a simple graph with colorful shapes cut from felt. There are two options for the graphing activity - one version uses just circles, while another uses a variety of basic shapes.
Related: felt letters of the alphabet.
How to make a graph on the felt board
- You will need felt pieces in a variety of colors. Cut circles from the felt (or any shape preferred).
- You will also need a felt surface on which to graph. You can easily make a felt board with our simple tutorial, or simply place a large piece of felt on a table top or tray.
- You will also need numerals to add to the graph. In this tutorial I use small self-adhesive foam numerals. The sticky back keeps the foam numerals in place. You could make a set of felt numerals similar to the ones in the tutorial below.
Now you're ready to start the fun with your toddler or preschooler with this simple math activity!
1. Graphing with circles
- Outline the graph with strips of brown felt.
- Place self-adhesive foam numerals or felt numerals vertically.
- Place felt circles horizontally.
Place matching colors of felt circles on the graph.
We kept the graph simple but you can add vertical and horizontal lines to create columns and rows to guide the placement of the circles as shown below.
2. Graphing with shapes
Our felt board is supported on a small paint easel.
More felt board activities:
More color sorting activities with felt from kid-friendly bloggers!
Color Sorting Busy Bag | Powerful Mothering
Fall Leaf Color Sort | Stir the Wonder
Felt Rainbow Sorting Game | One Perfect Day
Fine Motor and Color Sorting Eggs | Teach Me Mommy
Rainbow Color Sorting Busy Bag | Learning and Exploring Through Play
Felt Board on Pinterest