Halloween Thematic Preschool Unit
Schedule your Halloween season with exciting crafts and activities kids will love. Provide a variety of games, crafts and stories to support hands-on fun and learning in preschool and kindergarten.
This post contains affiliate links. Privacy and Disclosure
Are you excited to start Halloween activities in your home or preschool?
Our little ghosts and goblins can't wait to dress up in silly costumes, play games, shout 'trick-or-treat' at your door!
As the big event approaches, teachers and parents like to fill their calendars with fun activities that keep kids active and learning.
But planning can be overwhelming!
In this Halloween unit you'll find amazing ideas for guiding preschoolers through this busy season.
We've included circle time options, gross motor play, science and art.
Plan a full week (or more!) of the ABC's (Activities - Books - Crafts).
Halloween thematic unit
This Halloween unit is based on the ABC Method we designed to help make program planning easy and enjoyable.
The activities, books and crafts include science, math, literacy, art and more, to provide a well-rounded Halloween-themed program.
Grab this free ABC planner that's ready to kick off your Halloween theme. It's filled with a week of options to extend your everyday play in preschool or kindergarten.
More information about the activities in the planner can be found in the list of blog posts below.
Here is a full list of activities organized by the ABC Method.
A = Activities
1. Small group or circle time
Pumpkin Song (Tune: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star)
Pumpkin pumpkin big and round (extend arms, touch hands together to make a circle)
Pumpkin growing on the ground (crouch low to the ground, wrap arms around knees)
With your stem and leaves of green, Fun for us on Halloween (slowly stand, extend arms to form a circle)
Pumpkin pumpkin big and round, pumpkin growing on the ground (slowly return to crouching position, rest arms on the ground)
- Find hidden ghost and pumpkin cardboard cut-outs.
Pumpkin Roll and Wash
- Roll small pumpkins down an inclined plane and into a tub of soapy water.
- Stir foods and drinks into a large cauldron or pot. Give spooky directions as you add each item: swamp water (orange juice), spider web (fizzy water), lizard toes (strawberries), fish scales (lemon or lime slices).
- Spread a white sheet on the floor. Children gather in a circle around the sheet, with space between each child. Kids bend down and grasp the edge of the sheet with two hands. Everyone stands up and gently begins to raise and lower hands in unison, to flap the sheet up and down.
- Give simple directions: bounce the sheet quickly, slowly. Walk in a circle holding the sheet.
Play a version of the popular freeze game using monsters, ghosts or witches as your theme. Kids move around the room as Halloween characters while Halloween music plays. Kids can depict the characters in their movements: stomp like a monster, fly on a broom, swoop like a ghost. Kids then freeze in place when the music stops. Ask kids to make their best monster face, witch cackle, or ghost 'Boo!' when they freeze.
B = Books
C = Crafts
1. Art and Craft Activities
2. Painting Activities
Take the stress out of Halloween planning! This unit is prepared to help you celebrate with the kids.